A Review of the Trillium Dress Pdf Pattern by Made-by-Rae.
(Formally known as the Washi Dress.)
The Trillium Dress (formally known as the Washi Dress) by Made-by-Rae is something a little bit different to the other dresses I've seen or made. I was attracted by the U-shaped cut-out at the neckline but also the fact that it is a woven without zips or buttons.
Made-by-Rae sell women's and children's patterns in both pdf and printed formats. They have a small selection of free children's pdf patterns as well as useful tutorials and online workshops.
... sweet and stylish dress features a cut-out scoop neckline, pockets, and shirring in the back for an easy, comfortable fit. No zippers or closures are needed! The pattern can be made with a basic scoop neckline, sleeveless, as a tunic, or with a longer skirt to achieve a large number of different looks.
There is also an Expansion Pack available with options including:
elastic casing at back
peter pan collar
The Trillium Dress comes in sizes XS-XXL which is up to a 44" bust. This is quite a limited size range compared to other pdf pattern developers. Recommended fabrics are light to medium-weight cottons or cotton blends such as shirting, voile, double gauze, quilting cotton, poplin, or cotton/linen blends. I used a 100% cotton which is a stiffer fabric than I am used to using but it worked very well for this pattern.
The instructions are well laid-out and easy to follow. There are tips on fitting the bodice and shortening/lengthening. It is worth reading through the instructions first and planning how you are going to proceed. There are no instructions on how to finish the insides to prevent fraying so I pre-serged most of my pattern pieces before proceeding but its worth checking the process first.
The pockets are drafted within the front and back pieces which means that they go together very neatly and quickly. It may be worth testing if they are going to be at the right height for you before cutting out your fabric though.
The back pattern piece is drafted to have shirring. However, I tried and tried to get this to work on my sewing machine but I just could not get it right. Perhaps I didn't have the correct tension or maybe the elastic was the wrong type. I also tried using my zigzag stitch to sew lines of elastic to the back piece but this ended up being too tight. In the end I made up the dress without any elastic at the back and I really like the fit!
Once I had decided that I was going to omit the shirring the rest of the dress came together very quickly and its a very satisfying make. I chose to use facing rather than lining the bodice and this gave a very neat finish.
* EDIT - This pdf pattern has since been updated. Read my review of the updated pattern here.
Final Thoughts: This is a great summer dress and with the expansion pack there are options to take it through the seasons.