Making another Myosotis Dress by Deer & Doe Patterns ....
I've just completed Me Made May 2021 (see pictures here) and I enjoyed wearing my home-made dresses most. In Cyprus, it was simply too hot to wear a dress without feeling uncomfortably sweaty pretty quickly!
I'd picked up some Broderie Anglaise recently online from Pound Fabrics - I bought 3 metres because the fabric isn't very wide. I chose to make another short version with ruffles at the hem. I didn't have enough fabric for ruffles at the sleeves though. I also omitted the pockets as I didn't know how they would work with the Broderie Anglaise. I usually interface the collar and front facing but didn't because I thought that it would show through the Broderie Anglaise 'holes'.
I've never sewn with Broderie Anglaise before and actually my sewing machine wasn't keen - I think it's because of the way the texture and thickness of the fabric changes as you sew through the raised sections. I had to play around with my tension quite a lot to get even stitching.
It's also worth marking with chalk which is your wrong side of fabric before cutting and sewing - at first glance both sides seem the same but actually one side of the fabric was definitely less finished than the other.
Sewing up the Myosotis Dress is quite straightforward; I always struggle with getting a neat finish on the collar though but after two attempts I got there! As with my other Myosotis Dresses the buttons are for show - I can easily pull this dress on over my head so didn't bother to stress about adding buttonholes. These holographic plastic buttons are from The Yorkshire Trading Company.
I'm happy with my finished Myosotis Dress, this Broderie Anglaise fabric is very cool to wear in this unusually hot May Bank Holiday we're having. I find it's a flattering fit too, there's bust darts and waist darts at the front and back to give shaping. I do miss the pockets though ...